Start / Services


Visiting the office  

You can find the contact information and opening hours of local register office units in the Contact information section of our website.

Online time reservation service 

The online register office allows you to reserve, cancel or modify reservations for services at the local register office.  The local register office services available via the reservation system vary by office.   

Time reservation system

Personal identification at local register offices

Information in the Population Information System is not public – not just anybody can view or edit your information in the System. For this reason, the identity of customers is always confirmed in the local register office before handling personal data.

If you have a valid passport or an identification card granted by the Police, bring it with you.

If you do not have a passport or identification card, you can use a valid driver's licence, although it is not as reliable as the two aforementioned methods of identification. However, any expired identification will not be valid if the photo is so old that you cannot be recognised – in this case, you need to renew it first. Local register offices do not accept Kela cards, library cards, student cards, store bonus cards or foreign driver's licences as identification.



You can pay at the local register office in cash, by bank card, or using a Visa, Visa-Electron or MasterCard payment card.


Other forms of service  

You can deal with many matters, such as ordering documents, online or by contacting the local register office by e-mail at their official e-mail address (see contact information), by post, or by telephone.

A fee may be charged for posting a document subject to a fee. If the customer requests the document to be delivered as cash on delivery, as a registered letter, or with certificate of service, the fee incurred by the delivery method is charged on top of any delivery fee.

E-services and forms  

You can use the government's online customer services to e.g. complete a notification of move, request an investigation of impediments to marriage, submit a declaration of a change to your first name, and check your own registered details (in Finnish).

An advocate or proxy can apply for a license relating to e.g. real estate property or the sale and purchase of a home or the distribution of an inheritance.  Should your relative require an advocate, you can make a declaration to this effect. You can access the online advocacy service here. Support is available for matters relating to advocacy by telephone or online chat 9am–4.15pm. Advocacy chat service - link

All of our e-services and printable forms are available on the Forms section of our website.


Service Point  

 Service point

A Service Point refers to a point of contact at which at least two different Finnish authority services are available. More fully, the Service Point is a one-stop point of contact, where clients can access the most common government services.

The Local Register Offices in Mikkeli and Pargas have transferred their services to a Customer Service point. Only marriages and registrations of civil partnerships will be carried out, subject to prior time reservation, in the Local Register Office's own buildings (Mikkeli, Raatihuoneenkatu 5 & Pargas, Rantatie 30).          For all other services, drop-in customers' requests will be handled at the Service Point. The customer advisers at the Service Point provide advice and guidance when needed.

Many Service Points operate in municipal or government agency premises, but they may also be located in libraries, premises jointly leased by authorities, or the service may operate as a mobile Service Point.

Please check to see which services are available at your local Service Point. Not every Service Point has a contractual arrangement with a Local Register Office.


Public Service Info

Public service info

Do you need information on public services and assistance in using them?  The Public Service Info will direct you to the right service